Thursday, January 30, 2020

3A Entrepreneurship Story

A time in my life where I was exposed to entrepreneurship was in middle school. During the summer of my 7th grade year, I discovered the art of flipping shoes. In other words, buying and reselling shoes through a Facebook group named gotsole? I started doing research about different types of shoes mainly consisting of Jordan Retros and Nikes; then I came to discover that there was money to be made at the prices certain shoes were being sold at in the market. Members of the Facebook group would at times sell shoes for less than they were worth due to their current circumstances and thats where I would capitalize. I would pretty much buy shoes, make a post describing their conditions/flaws, and list the price I was looking for. After that, potential customers would contact me and either start negotiating or set up a time and place to meet up to complete the shoe transaction. I started becoming familiar with how negotiating worked which really helped my margins. I continued selling shoes throughout high school which made me really conscious about the value of the dollar. Since I was working hard for my money, I would spend it wisely and save up a lot of it. This was an experience that I will forever cherish since it exposed me with how the business world works while dealing with something that I really had the passion for.

I enrolled in this class because I've heard several great things about the course and professor. It also counts as one of my required electives so it seemed like a win-win situation. Aside from that, I've always had an interest in all the moving pieces associated with starting a business and I felt like this class would cover some of that. I hope to gain a better understanding of the mentality of an entrepreneur and the different processes that take place in starting a business.

Image result for kd aunt pearl 6"
The KD 6 Aunt Pearls (pictured above) was one of my favorite shoes that I owned.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mohammed, thank you for your post! I really liked reading your story as it reminds me of some of my friends into selling and buying sneakers. When in middle school and high school, there are many odd jobs to do and this one is very different that your typical babysitting. It sounds like you have gotten some great buying and selling experience.

    ReplyDelete